Display your e-shop products directly in Google search results? It’s possible, with Google Shopping. Relying on the AdWords advertising interface, this type of high-performance campaign offers the Internet user the opportunity to compare at a glimpse and provides the advertiser an extremely visual format.
What is a Google Shopping ad?
When you are looking for a product, Google Shopping ads are the very first results to be displayed, above all the others, in the form of an image associated with a price and a link towards the website. Hence, the internet user can easily compare different e-commerce offers for the desired product.
Who is targeted by this type of ad and how can you develop it?
This type of campaign is available to any company with an e-commerce website and looking to promote the sales of its products on line. A Google AdWords account is mandatory for creating a Shopping campaign.
1. A format that has already proved its worth
According to a Google survey, Shopping campaigns can increase the number of clicks by up to 30%! Thanks to the photographs displayed at the top of the search results, ads can draw a large share of internet users looking for a specific product to your website without specifying a particular brand or model. So, it is when associated with ‘search’ campaigns that this type of format offers all its strength.
2. A few rules to abide by to be eligible
In order to validate campaigns, Google demands the following from the advertiser:
- First of all, to sell products that are authorised by Google. Indeed, certain goods and service categories such as medication, insurance, bank loans, energising products, etc. are not permitted to use this format.
- The company that owns the website must automatically use the ‘HTTPS’ format to advertise via Google Shopping.
- Finally, you must provide Google with your product flow in CSV or Excel file format. This document must contain a great deal of information on your articles. The sale price must, of course, be indicated together with an accurate description, but also packaging and product availability.
- Furthermore, this file must be updated (if, for example, one of your products is out of stock), failing which, you may see your campaign, or even your account, suspended by Google.
So, as you will have grasped, the performance of your ads will largely depend on the information in your product flow.
How can you develop efficient campaigns?
Indeed, this product flow is the very heart of your strategy. For, contrary to other ad formats, for which you create text and add photo/video, Shopping campaigns rely exclusively on your flow.
This file is not one you invent – it is directly linked to your website. It is therefore essential that your list of goods is as accurate and as detailed as possible.
However, this does not mean that the file will include all the information requested by Google. You will therefore need to complete certain empty columns.
On-line price comparison
Consumers have always compared the prices proposed by different companies. Displaying a price that is lower than your competitors is unquestionably the oldest marketing differentiation strategy in the world.
And this is precisely what Google Shopping campaigns can offer you. Whereas, users were once obliged to check product prices on each website and to note them down, this has become a redundant exercise. In just 1 click, the internet user can now browse dozens of websites and compare, in real time, each advertiser’s offer.
Would you like to increase your e-commerce sales or improve your understanding of your advertising campaigns? Feel free to contact one of our experts in advertising to talk about your project!